Personal tools

Krabbenhoft Public Library
You are here: Home / about our library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

The original Sabula Library was organized at the Stone Schoolhouse in September of 1875 by a group of local business men.  The library collection was housed in the jewelry store of J.J. Gray, a jeweler who became the community's first librarian.

Somewhere through the years the library was absorbed into the school system and Sabula was without a Public Library for may years.

In the year 1961, during the term of Mayor Allen, interested citizens of the community worked to reopen a library.  Spearheading the drive were Ruby Holman, Rev. William Kramer, Marjorie Cotton, Lola Machande, Mrs. Arnold Krabbenhoft, and Gerald Cavanaugh.

September 1, 1961  the library was reopened in the old stone schoolhouse, now the Masonic Lodge,  with Ruby Holman as librarian.  The Masons allowed the first floor of their buidling to be used rent free.

Sabula marked an historic event in May 31, 1984 when the community's new public library opened its doors.  The handicapped-accessible building was a long sought goal of community members and represented a combination of private donations, volunteer labor, foundaton and government support.

The library is maintained and established according to the local ordinance and has a legally appointed library board consisting of 7 members to govern the operation of the library.  The staff consists of one certified library director and one part time assistant.  The library, located at 512 Elk St.,  is automated and is open 21 hours a week.

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.